Right now, the situation in Gaza is catastrophic and entirely avoidable. With no ceasefire, an ongoing siege and people resorting to drinking salty water, there is no guarantee for the safety of millions of people. We know that it is women and girls in particular who are most impacted as their human rights are first to be violated during humanitarian crises.
Somaya, a pregnant mother displaced twice with her family since the bombardment on Gaza told ActionAid ‘My children are screaming all night, while there is bombing on us. I am pregnant. On the 28th of the month, I am supposed to give birth, I will have a caesarean section. Where should I go? Where will it be born?’
ActionAid is joining 550 organisations calling for a ceasefire and preserving human lives. Will you sign our joint petition?
#CeasefireNow: Open Call for an Immediate Ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and Israel to Prevent a Humanitarian Catastrophe and Further Loss of Innocent Lives We call on all Heads of State, the UN Security Council and actors on the ground to prioritise the preservation of human life above all else.
During this ceasefire we call on all parties to unconditionally:
- Facilitate the delivery of lifesaving assistance, including food, medical supplies, fuel, and the resumption of electricity and internet to Gaza, in addition to safe passage of humanitarian and medical staff
- Free all civilian hostages, especially children and elderly
- Allow humanitarian convoys to reach UN facilities, schools, hospitals, and health facilities in northern Gaza and commit to protecting them along with the civilians and staff inside them at all times
- Rescind orders by the Government of Israel for civilians to depart northern Gaza
- Allow patients in critical condition to be medically evacuated for urgent care
Palestinian women and children carrying belongings flee to safer areas following Israeli bombardments on southern part of Gaza City. Credit: Ali Jadallah/Anadolu/Getty Images